This puppy class focuses more on body language and socialization with an extra class that allows for the AKC certification.
The PAWS STAR puppy program is a six-week course which has extra focus on socializing your new family member, as well as teaching important training foundations. As a participant in this puppy class, you’ll spend time learning about developmental stages, canine communication, and puppy-specific problem solving and prevention. This course is for families who want to spend more time investing in a foundation of learning together with their canine companion. You’ll learn how to introduce your puppy to people, dogs and novel environmental stimulus in a positive way. On the last class, your instructor will test you for the AKC program so you can register your sweetie as a STAR certified puppy.
Classes are limited to six dogs each. The small class size ensures an environment conducive to learning.
- Number of Classes: 6 weekly classes (Class will meet on the same day/time each week). Participants will complete orientation online before the first class.
- Length of Class: 40 minutes
- Class Structure: 40-minute training sessions with your dog
- Age: 10 weeks to 5 months
- Prerequisites: None
- Price: $200
The following are required for participation
- Vaccination records: Copies of your dog’s age-appropriate distemper/parvo, rabies and Bordetella vaccinations must be brought to the first class.
- Leash: A five- or six-foot leash (no retractable or chain leashes)
- Collar/Harness: Martingale collar, buckle collar or training harness
- Clicker: This small, box-style event marker can be purchased online or at any pet supply store.
- Treat carrier: A bag, pouch, fanny pack, apron with pocket or deep pocket that provides easy access to treats
- Treats: Lots of small, easy-to-chew, high-value treats. Cut up pieces of cheese or hot dogs are good choices, as are soft treats made specifically for training. (Experiment in advance to discover what your puppy really loves.)
- Bed, mat or rug: Soft surface your puppy can learn to lie down on
- Chew toy or stuffed Kong (optional): May be helpful to keep your dog entertained during downtime
- Water Bowl
- Participants will need to review the online orientation before the first class.
- Please be on time.
- Wear comfortable clothing and nonskid shoes. Flip flops, sandals and heels are not recommended.
- The use of cell phones is not permitted during class.
- Do not feed your puppy before class. A hungry puppy is more motivated to learn.
- Give your dog time to relieve himself before class.