Partnering with PAWS Chicago Guarantees your Pet’s Life. As a No Kill shelter, we are committed to finding a home for every animal in our adoption program.
By managing admissions, PAWS Chicago accepts new incoming animals into the adoption program once current cats and dogs in this program have been placed into new homes. The priority is to utilize space for animals in desperate need. As a result, PAWS Chicago works from a waiting list, which ranges from immediate acceptance to several weeks. The list is sometimes shorter, sometimes longer depending on breeding seasons and adoption rates.
Steps to Give Up Your Pet
Step 1: Fill out the Admissions Survey
Fill out the admissions form here.
Step 2: PAWS Chicago Will Contact You
A PAWS Chicago representative will contact you and let you know about space availability. Please note that PAWS Chicago does work from a waiting list, which can range from immediate acceptance to several weeks, depending on the season, adoptions, or the animals currently in our adoption program.
For cats, PAWS Chicago requires that owners test their cat for FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus) and FeLV (Feline Leukemia Virus) and have a current FVCRP or distemper vaccination prior to surrendering the cat to PAWS Chicago. If your cat has already been tested for FIV/FeLV, it must have been done within the past 12 months. You must have these veterinary records at the time of your appointment. Please note that PAWS Chicago accepts FIV/FeLV positive cats on a limited basis as they require specialized foster homes and adopters. The PAWS Chicago Lurie Spay/Neuter Clinic offers FIV/FeLV testing and vaccinations for $25.00.
Step 3: PAWS Chicago Will Schedule An Appointment
Once there is space for your pet in this program, a PAWS Chicago representative will contact you to schedule an appointment to bring in your cat or dog for a behavior assessment. You will receive details for your appointment in a confirmation e-mail prior to the appointment date.
Step 4: Your Appointment with PAWS Chicago
You and your pet will meet with a PAWS Chicago representative, who will conduct a behavior assessment with your pet. The pet must pass the behavior assessment to be admitted into the Adoption Program. However, PAWS Chicago reserves the right to accept or deny admittance of any animal into the Adoption Program. If the cat or dog does not pass the behavior assessment, PAWS Chicago will not be able to accept the animal at that time, but can recommend personalized trainers and behaviorists. Very often, a little bit of patience and consistency in training goes a long way.
Step 5: Pets Accepted into the PAWS Chicago Adoption Program
When there is space for your pet at PAWS Chicago, you will be asked to:
- Complete the Background Information Form on your pet
- Complete and sign the Surrender Contract
- Bring all veterinary records
- Bring special food or treats that your pet needs
- Bring your pet’s bed, toys, leash, and other belongings from home
- Bring your pet’s crate or carrier
PAWS Chicago Surrender Fees*
$100.00 per animal or $150.00 add multiple animals. Applies to animals that have all of the following:
- Current Rabies Vaccination
- Current Distemper Vaccination
- Current Felv/FIV negative test if Feline
$150.00 per animal or $250.00 add multiple animals. Applies to animals that are not current on vaccinations and/or spayed/neutered.
*The surrender fee may be waived for individuals on public assistance
Please understand that PAWS Chicago is committed to each PAWS dog or cat for life! Because of the quality care administered to all of our homeless pets, the average cost for each pet is $20 per day, or an average of $200 per pet, not including medical care. This nominal fee does not come close to covering the significant cost of medically caring for, sheltering and adopting out your pet.
Benefits of Surrendering Your Pet to PAWS Chicago
- Peace of Mind: Your pet is guaranteed life!
- PAWS Chicago medically treats all sick animals
- PAWS Chicago is committed to all our pets for life: adopters sign a contract that they will return the pet to PAWS Chicago if they ever need to give it up
- PAWS Chicago has specially designed suites that are much less stressful for animals than cages in traditional shelters
- Dogs get multiple walks each day and stimulation to prevent behavioral regression that commonly occurs in shelters
- All adopters receive three follow-up calls to ensure that the transition is going smoothly and to help solve problems before they become major issues
Did you adopt your pet from PAWS Chicago? If so, please contact us at 773-935-7297 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information on surrenduring your pet.