Free and low-cost spay/neuter surgeries—and much more.
High-Quality, High-Volume, Low-Cost Spay/Neuter
Spay/neuter is one of the easiest ways to ensure your pet has a healthy, happy life. With so many homeless pets killed in Chicago each year, spay/neuter also prevents unwanted pets from being born.
We opened the Lurie Clinic in 2000 to provide spay/neuter for free and at a reduced cost to make sure it is accessible for all pets. We tier our pricing so everyone can afford it. By specializing in spay/neuter, we’re able to help thousands of animals while providing high-quality surgical expertise and personalized attention for each pet.
A convenient, accessible location is just as important as affordability when it comes to encouraging spay/neuter. The Lurie Clinic is in the charming and bustling Little Village neighborhood. It is the only spay/neuter clinic of its kind located in and serving Chicago’s underserved communities.
- The Lurie Clinic has four surgical tables and six anesthesia stations.
- There are separate housing areas for dogs and cats to minimize stress.
- Our full-time surgeons perform more than 5,000 spays and neuters each year. Only top surgeons licensed in Illinois perform spay/neuter surgeries at PAWS Chicago.
- On average, we spay or neuter 85 pets each day. We can perform as many as 126 surgeries in a single day.
- 72% of our surgeries are done free of charge.
- In the last seven years we have performed 4,734 spay/neuter procedures on pit bulls and pit bull mixes—the most common type of dog found in animal shelters.
- Each year, if we laid out the suture we use from end to end it would exceed the peak of Mt. Everest.
- We receive between 250 and 500 calls per day from the general public.
- Our Vaccine Clinic provides more than 14,000 routine vaccinations, blood tests, and microchips every year.
- We provide services to rescue groups to help even more Chicagoland homeless pets.
- We offer low-cost packages for feral/community cats. We perform more than 4,000 surgeries annually on feral/community cats.
To be cleared for surgery, pets must:
- Weigh at least two pounds
- Be at least eight weeks old
- Pass a checkup with one of our veterinarians
- Have a presurgical blood panel done if over six years of age to ensure there are no health issues and the pet is safe to go under anesthesia
We tier our pricing based on need. Because we target our services to those who need it most, more than 70% of our clients receive the surgery free of charge. See our Lurie Clinic Pricing to learn more and to see if you qualify for free spay/neuter.
Lurie Spay/Neuter Clinic
3516 W. 26th St.
Chicago, IL 60623
Hours of Operation
Sunday: 6:45 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Tuesday: 6:45 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Wednesday: 6:45 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Thursday: 6:45 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
All services are by appointment only.
In addition to spay/neuter surgeries, the Lurie Clinic offers optional low-cost annual preventive services during Vaccine Clinic hours, including:
- Vaccinations for Rabies, Distemper and Bordetella
- Canine heartworm testing
- Feline FeLV/FIV combo testing
- Frontline Plus for flea and tick prevention (cat and dog formulas available)
- Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention
- Revolution for prevention of heartworm, fleas, ear mites and other parasites (cat and dog formulas available)
- Nail trims and ear cleaning
See Lurie Clinic Pricing for more information.
Vaccine Clinic Hours
Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
11 a.m. – noon
Call (773) 521-7729 to make an appointment. Appointments are required. To take advantage of these low-cost services, pets must be spayed or neutered. Vaccines and additional services can be provided at time of surgery.