Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is critical to eliminating cat overpopulation. By helping TNR volunteers, TNR groups and colony caretakers, the Lurie Clinic is working to prevent unwanted kittens from being born.
Our TNR program curbs feral and community cat reproduction while maintaining the balance of these feline colonies. Our program includes:
- Our own trapping volunteers performing TNR
- Overseeing all registered colonies on the South Side of Chicago—more than 200 caretakers, nearly 300 colonies and more than 2,000 cats
- Providing direct spay/neuter and medical assistance to TNR colony caretakers
Feral/Community Cat Services
In addition to spay/neuter, our feral/community cat services include:
- Rabies and Distemper vaccines
- Ear cleaning
- Wound cleaning
- Flea, tick and parasite treatment
- FIV/FeLV tests (available for purchase)
Call (773) 521-7729 for more information or to make an appointment.
Qualifications for Trappers
To be eligible for feral/community cat packages, a trapping organization must submit a completed Rescue Partner Application, including a copy of 501(c)(3) designation, before scheduling surgery appointments.
To be cleared for surgery, pets must:
- Weigh at least two pounds
- Be at least eight weeks old
- Be in good physical health (no signs of upper respiratory infection)
Feral cats must come in to the Clinic in their own feral trap.
Scheduling Five Cats or Less
Feral/Community Cat surgeries are available Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Advanced appointments are not required for up to five feral/community cats.
Cats must be in a covered, humane trap prior to entering the clinic. We no longer accommodate the transfer of cats from domestic carriers to rental traps.
Drop-off Hours: 8:00 – 10 a.m. (Check-in will be processed in order of arrival.)
Pick-Up: 5:00 p.m. unless otherwise notified. Discharges are handled in order of pick-up arrival.
More Information: Please call (773) 521-7729
Scheduling Six Cats or More
Group appointments are required for six or more cats from a single trapper or TNR group. Please call (773) 475-9431 to make an appointment.
Schedule for the Day of Surgery
- Check-In: 8:00 – 10 a.m. (Check-in will be processed in order of arrival.)
- Pick-Up: 5:00 p.m. unless otherwise notified. Discharges are handled in order of pick-up arrival. We do not keep patients overnight.
- Each feral cat must be in its own trap prior to entering the building. Each trap must be covered with a sheet or a towel. Please do not use any nonporous material to cover the trap.
- Trap rentals and transfers will not be allowed on the morning of surgery.
- Friendly feral/community cats may be kept in carriers.
- We cannot keep feral/community cats overnight for any reason.
PAWS Chicago has traps available to rent two at a time for a two-week period. A $70 refundable deposit is required per trap. Deposits can be made by check or credit card (Discover and American Express are not accepted).
Feral/Community Cat Pricing
Spay/neuter is free. The package price, effective January 1, 2017, covers the additional services provided:
- $40 per cat when trappers are city of Chicago residents (includes microchip)
- $65 per cat when trappers are Illinois residents
Includes eartipping, Rabies vaccination, Distemper vaccination, dewormer shot, Revolution application, and cleaning of ears and wounds.