Donate a Vehicle | PAWS Chicago

Donate a Vehicle

Donate a Vehicle

Get more mileage from your old vehicle when you donate it to PAWS Chicago and help homeless animals.

Besides receiving a tax deduction, you will know that your donation was used to help fund the lifesaving programs at PAWS Chicago, including spay/neuter, adoption and community outreach.

Get started today by filling out the vehicle donation form!
Questions about or vehicle donation program? Call 773-475-3322 or email vehicledonation@pawschicago.org.

Yes, all vehicle donations are accepted.

We accept most vehicles, including but not limited to cars, trucks, RVs, boats, trailers and motorcycles. It is a nationwide program, so we can accept vehicles from anywhere in the United States.

The IRS allows you to claim one of the following:

  • Claiming a Value Up to $500: If you are claiming a value up to $500, it is up to you to determine the fair market value. You will receive an acknowledgment letter in the mail that will accompany your estimate of the fair market value for tax purposes.
  • Claiming a Value Greater than $500: If you are claiming a value greater than $500, the IRS will allow you to claim the gross proceeds from the sale of the vehicle, minus towing and maintenance costs. After the vehicle is sold, we will send you an acknowledgment letter, along with a Form 1098-C form stating the sale price/claimable amount.

PAWS Chicago is a 501(c)(3) charity organization. The deduction is of value only if you itemize your deductions. For a more detailed overview, please visit www.irs.gov or talk with your tax advisor.

You can claim this donation after we have received the funding. This will occur after the vehicle sells. There is no guarantee this will happen the same calendar year that you donate the vehicle. In most cases, the vehicle is sold within one to two months of the donation, but this is not guaranteed.

In most cases, you can donate a vehicle without a title. Call our third party partner, Insurance Auto Auctions, at 800-456-5517 to determine whether we can accept your vehicle.

The outcome of your vehicle depends on a number of factors, including its condition. 

You can request a temporary receipt from the towing company at the time of pickup. Once the vehicle sells, you will receive an acknowledgment letter in the mail . You will also receive a Form 1098-C if the vehicle sells for more than $500.

When signing your title, please make sure that you print and sign your name as the “Seller” in exactly the way it appears on the face of the title.

No, there is absolutely no charge to you for your donation.

After you have submitted your information via phone at 800-456-5517 or through the vehicle donation form, you will receive a confirmation email. Within 24 to 48 hours you will be contacted for pickup arrangements.

PAWS Chicago will receive 80% of the sale amount. The other 20% will be used to cover towing costs, the marketing of the vehicle, maintenance costs, etc.