PAWS Chicago’s Polite and Playful Puppy Class socializes and nurtures young students, helping them become happy, healthy, polite and housebroken. The class also facilitates important socialization skills with other pups during group play periods.
Classes are limited to eight dogs each. The small class size ensures an environment conducive to learning.
- Number of Classes: 5 weekly classes (Class will meet on the same day/time each week)
- Length of Class: 1 hour
- Class Structure: Training followed by a play period
- Age: 10 weeks to 5 months
- Prerequisites: None
- Price: $150
Three Areas of Focus
Your puppy will be trained on basic obedience skills including:
- Name recognition
- Come, sit and down
- Walking on a leash
You’re never too young for good manners. During the class, we will address:
- Crate training
- Leave it
The following are required for participation
- Vaccination records: Copies of your dog’s age-appropriate distemper/parvo, rabies and Bordetella vaccinations must be brought to the first class.
- Leash: A five- or six-foot leash (no retractable or chain leashes).
- Collar/Harness: Martingale collar, buckle collar or training harness.
- Clicker: This small, box-style event marker can be purchased online or at any pet supply store.
- Treat carrier: A bag, pouch, fanny pack, apron with pocket or deep pocket that provides easy access to treats.
- Treats: Lots of small, easy-to-chew, high-value treats. Cut up pieces of cheese or hot dogs are good choices, as are soft treats made specifically for training. (Experiment in advance to discover what your puppy really loves.)
- Bed, mat or rug: Soft surface your puppy can learn to lie down on.
- Chew toy or stuffed Kong (optional): May be helpful to keep your puppy entertained during downtime.
- Water Bowl
- Please be on time.
- Wear comfortable clothing and nonskid shoes. Flip flops, sandals and heels are not recommended.
- The use of cell phones is not permitted during class.
- Do not feed your puppy before class. A hungry puppy is more motivated to learn.
- Give your puppy time to relieve himself before class.